Co-hosted with USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work
Presenter: Ann Steiner Ph.D., LMFT, CGP, FAGPA
6 CEUs | 2 sessions
Saturday, January 08, 2022, 9:00 AM 12:00 PM (PST) & Sunday, January 09, 2022, 9:00 AM 12:00 PM (PST)
Cost: Member/USC Alum - $125 | Student/USC Student - $40 | Nonmember - $175 -- Become a member today and get the pro-rated new member rate
This 6 hour Law and Ethics webinar is a deep dive, hands on workshop about the Therapist’s Professional Will. COVID has been a wakeup call and reminder that we all, regardless of age, health and socio-cultural location, need to have backup systems in place. Illnesses, retirement, relocation, sudden emergencies, and death happen. Plus, the Ethics Codes for every discipline require that you have a Professional Will. This workshop helps you plan who will contact your patients if you cannot, and ways to minimize the impact of your absence on your patients, colleagues, and community. All levels of experience welcome!
- List the essential ingredients of a comprehensive Professional Will
- Analyze when and whether it is appropriate to be self-disclosing regarding the psychotherapist’s health, reasons for canceling sessions and termination, factoring in differences in social-economic, power, privilege, racial, cultural, and other differences present in their clinical practice
- List 3 common problems and complications created for patients when the therapist cancels or is ill
- Describe your plan for minimizing the trauma caused to patients when the therapist has to cancel, transfer or terminate earlier than expected
- List your countertransference challenges/concerns re cancelling sessions.
About the Presenter:
Ann Steiner Ph.D., is a Certified Group Psychotherapist, licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and consultant in private practice for 30 years. She pioneered the creation of the professional will, has published over 20 articles on the subject, consults to and presents workshops to clinicians throughout the US and in Europe, and has published two books about leading groups. Dr. Steiner served as an Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF, for 14 years; is on the faculty of the Psychotherapy Institute; and is a Fellow and member of the American Group Psychotherapy Association’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force.
To read more about the Therapist’s Professional Will or learn about Dr. Steiner’s downloadable Therapist’s Professional Will: Guidelines for Managing Planned and Unplanned Absence check out: www.PsychotherapyTools.com http://www.psychotherapytools.com/profwill_what.html Currently she is writing a manual titled: Your Therapist’s Professional Will: The Ethical Care of Your Practice and Yourself Workbook and Guide.
Workshop Logistics: After registering you will receive a link to the ZOOM meeting.
- This webinar is interactive and will not be recorded
- This webinar meets the requirement for Law and Ethics CEUs
- Closed Captioning available
This WORKSHOP meets the qualifications for 6 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs and/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Note: With supervisor approval, registered ASWs may use CEs toward LCSW hours.
- 14 days or more before event date: Full refund
- 13-7 days before event date: 75% refund
- 6 days or less before event date: No refund
Note: Registration will be canceled if payment is not made at least 7 days prior to the event.